June 11, 1948 - Hong Kong

Bathing Beauty
Wayne and I were married yesterday.
Earlier this year, the two of us had gone to see the new Esther Williams movie. In the middle of the movie Wayne’s name flashes on the screen—apparently there was a message for him. One of the servant girls had been sent to tell him that his mother had come on urgent business to Hong Kong and was waiting at the house. Well, the movie was so entertaining I didn’t want to leave, so he went back alone, and I didn’t even know it was to discuss marriage.
All of his family members attended the marriage, except for his father, who is in Canada. I heard he was working in the kitchen of a copper mine in a place called Prince Rupert. There was an explosion, and his friends were all killed, but he saved himself by jumping through a window. He drifted east, to somewhere called Winnipeg, where he now works as a cook in the hospital. He sends back money twice a year for Wayne, and Wayne’s sister and brother. They were all born five years apart; he would only come back from Canada every five years. Wayne told me he couldn’t come back too often because he had to pay 500 dollars every time he returned to Canada. That’s unbelievable! But he hasn’t been back here since 1923, because of some ridiculous Canadian law which prevents all Chinese from entering the country.
We’re going back to Wayne’s hometown for the banquet.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home