February 7, 1947 - Hong Kong

Life goes on

Things have almost returned to normal.
I’m making good money knitting sweaters for shop girls. The custom ones—with embroidery and all—fetch around 75 dollars. They take me around 4 or 5 days to finish. It doesn’t sound like much but I’m the envy of my siblings! My older brother works in an architect’s office and he only makes 30 dollars a month. They squander all their money on women, alcohol and gambling anyway, so I’ve been lending out to them at ten percent interest.


I’m seeing Wayne Mah again. I’ve known him for a long time, but we only started going steady after the war ended. He was serving in the Nationalist army during the war so I didn’t see him much. His father works at the shipyards, and they also live a few houses away, so my father would often invite them over for dinner or mah-jong. His cousin married my oldest sister, too. He’s so quiet and even-tempered, and I like him even though he can’t roller skate. I’ve had a lot of interest from other men too, who want to marry. But I’d rather be a daughter than a bride; it’s less work.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Parker!!

I was wandering around the internet and stumbled upon what I'm guessing is your family's history. I have figured this because I recognize some of the stories and you look SO MUCH like this Wayne Mah fellow, who is your grandfather??

Either way, it's a fascinating story. This is a really cool way of recording it. I didn't know that your family had immigrated so recently. I wish that I had some means of finding out how my family came to live in Newfoundland, but it happened so long ago it wouldn't really be one story... it would be hundreds. lol.

Hope this finds you well, give your family my best, I know you all have been through a really rought time.

Much love,

Cara

1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home